MODULE 13 - SUGGESTED READING
1) Neuroscience Online: an electronic textbook for the neurosciences. This is a free educational resource provided by the Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston. It is really superb and we urge you to make use of it. The online version works fine on computers, but since visualization of the figures requires a flash player, they are absent when the material is viewed using an Ipad.
Section 2, Chapter 9: Olfaction and Gustation
9.1 Gustatory System
9.2 Olfactory System
9.3 Neural Pathway into the Olfactory Cortex
Section 4, Chapter 5: Limbic System:Hippocampus
5.1 Introduction to the Limbic System
5.3 Overall Structure of the Hippocampus, Fornix, and Anterior Commissure
5.4 Output Pathways of the Hippocampus
5.5 Input Pathways of the Hippocampus
5.6 Structures and Processes within the Hippocampus
5.7 Mechanisms of Hippocampal Function
Section 4, Chapter 6: Limbic System:Amygdala
6.1 Amygdala - General Considerations
6.2 Inputs to the Amygdala
6.3 Major Output Pathways of the Amygdala
6.4 Ventral Amygdalofugal Pathway
6.5 More on Function of the Amygdala
6.6 Fear Conditioning: An Example of the Role of the Amygdala in Learning
2) The Nervous System in Action by Michael D. Mann. Click on MANN TEXT to access the internet version of this excellent textbook. The home page provides links to individual chapters and also offers a link to download a PDF version of the text. Your best bet is to download the text and view it your screen using
Chapter 10, Gustatory and Olfactory Senses - pgs. 8-11. This section describes how olfactory sensations are coded by receptors in cells of the olfactory epithelium. The process, however, is not well understood.
Chapter 17, Activities involving the Cerebral Hemispheres - pgs 2-10. Figure shows a diagram of the Limbic system and the text that follows includes discussions of:
1) The role of Limbic structures in controlling emotions and behavior
2) The Kluver-Bucy syndrome.
3) The role of Limbic structures in learning and memory
3) Charlie Rose: The Brain Series. Created in collaboration with Eric Kandel.
Episode 6 The Aging Brain In this episode Brenda Milner describes here experience testing the patient HM; her work provided a historic leap forward in our understanding of hippocampal function.
Episode 7 The Emotional and Vulnerable Brain This episode deals with reward systems, addiction and the role of dopamine neurons. If you don't have time to watch all of it, start to download it and dial forward to minute 16 for the anatomy; then continue to minute 18 for a description of the famous "Olds and Milner" self stimulation experiments, which focused attention on the septum.
Episode 8 The Anxious Brain Antonio Damasio, Joseph LeDoux and others discuss the role of the amygdala in controlling emotions.
NOTE: As of 10/22/2014 access to Episodes 6 and 7 (on YouTube) is blocked. We continue to list them here, in the hope the blocks will be removed.
3) The Digital Anatomist. This is an excellent program developed by the Dept. Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle. It contains a huge library of views of the brain. We will refer to specific figures in many of our modules, including this one.
SITE MAP MOD 13 HOME PIXBRAIN HOME I WANT TO COMMENT